Teaching Affiliations: University of Chicago Medicine, Jackson Park Hospital Foundation, Saint Joseph Hospital, Presence Health Systems, Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science, Ross University School of Medicine
Health Care Affiliations: University of Illinois Hospital & Health Sciences System, University of Chicago Medicine
What to Expect:
This is a hospital-based, hospital-letterhead clinical rotation. Visitors will rotate with physicians in the emergency medicine department at Saint Anthony Hospital. The emergency department is open 24 hours a day, 365 days of the year. Eight-hour ER shifts will be assigned per department head. Saint Anthony Hospital is approved by the Illinois Department of Public Health as an Emergency Department Approved for Pediatrics (EDAP) with capabilities to meet emergency and critical care needs of seriously ill and injured children.
During the rotation, visitors will learn about the diagnosis and treatment of broken bones, minor burns, contusions, cuts, fractures and dislocations, sprains, and stitches. Common illnesses treated include: asthma, bronchitis, pneumonia, colds/coughs, ear infections, fevers, headaches, and urinary tract infections.
Visitors will be paired with current medical students within the curriculum.
Schedules will vary depending on the morning (6AM-2PM), afternoon (2PM-10PM) or night shifts (10PM-6AM).
- Current Students: An updated CV and transcripts that show a minimum of 3.25 GPA or a Dean's letter stating you are in the top third of your class are due upon application.
- Graduates: An updated CV and a passing USMLE Step 1 score are required upon application.
- Visitors will work with an interdisciplinary group of hospitalists, attending physicians, and residents. Requests for a letter of recommendation should be made to your primary preceptor at the end of your rotation.
- Visitors can expect a minimum of 30 hours per week. The program schedule may vary; please consult with the supervising physician upon arrival.
- Required paperwork must be submitted a minimum of 45 days before the start of the rotation for processing. Failure to do so may result in lost days.
- Must provide a letter of good standing for computer access and complete quiz.
- Visitors should be dressed professionally and have a short white coat and stethoscope upon arrival.
|Monday||8 am - 5 pm|
|Tuesday||8 am - 5 pm|
|Wednesday||8 am - 5 pm|
|Thursday||8 am - 5 pm|
|Friday||8 am - 5 pm|
*Schedule may vary, please consult with the physician upon arrival for any updates.
Saint Anthony Hospital