Teaching Affiliations: University of Chicago Medicine, Jackson Park Hospital Foundation, Saint Joseph Hospital, Presence Health Systems, Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science, Ross University School of Medicine
Health Care Affiliations: University of Illinois Hospital & Health Sciences System, University of Chicago Medicine
What to Expect:
This is a hospital-based, hospital-letterhead clinical rotation. Visitors will rotate with physicians in the emergency medicine department at Saint Anthony Hospital. The emergency department is open 24 hours a day, 365 days of the year. Eight-hour ER shifts will be assigned per department head. Saint Anthony Hospital is approved by the Illinois Department of Public Health as an Emergency Department Approved for Pediatrics (EDAP) with capabilities to meet emergency and critical care needs of seriously ill and injured children.
During the rotation, visitors will learn about the diagnosis and treatment of broken bones, minor burns, contusions, cuts, fractures and dislocations, sprains, and stitches. Common illnesses treated include: asthma, bronchitis, pneumonia, colds/coughs, ear infections, fevers, headaches, and urinary tract infections.
Visitors will be paired with current medical students within the curriculum.
Schedules will vary depending on the morning (6AM-2PM), afternoon (2PM-10PM) or night shifts (10PM-6AM).
- Instead of working one-on-one with a supervising physician, visitors will work with an interdisciplinary group of hospitalists, attending physicians, and residents. At the end of the program, the letter of recommendation will come from the supervising physician.
- Visitors must provide an updated CV and transcripts showing rank in top third of class upon application.
- Schedule varies. Expect a minimum of 30 hours per week.
- Hospital paperwork must be submitted four to six weeks in advance for processing.
- Must provide a letter of good standing for computer access and complete quiz.
- Visitors will need to bring a short white lab coat and stethoscope on their first day.
- Public transportation is available.
|Monday||8 am - 5 pm|
|Tuesday||8 am - 5 pm|
|Wednesday||8 am - 5 pm|
|Thursday||8 am - 5 pm|
|Friday||8 am - 5 pm|
*Schedule may vary, please consult with the physician upon arrival for any updates.
Saint Anthony Hospital